Waterabilities Swim and Water Safety Instructor
About the job
About Abilities Unlimited Australia
Join Abilities Unlimited Australia (AUA) in making a real difference in the lives of children with diverse abilities! We are a not-for-profit professional organization dedicated to empowering children to participate in active recreation and community sports. If you're looking for a job that changes lives, become a Waterabilities Swim Instructor with us!
Imagine the rewarding feeling of helping children who require extra support, to learn how to swim. As a Waterabilities Swim Instructor, you'll play a vital role in providing these children with life-saving skills and boost their confidence and capacity. But it doesn't stop there! You'll also give them the ability to engage meaningfully in sports and active recreation, both in their community and with their families. Joining our team will give you the opportunity to foster meaningful relationships with our participants and families that will ultimately lead to making a real difference in their lives. Waterabilities is more than just a swimming program – it's a designed to transform lives by focusing on four crucial aspects of growth and development.
Here's what makes Waterabilities special:
· Building Trust: We establish a bond of trust with each child, ensuring they feel comfortable and supported throughout their swimming journey.
· Having Fun: We believe in the power of fun! Our lessons are engaging and enjoyable, creating an environment where children love to learn and progress through game based learning.
· Reinforcing Safe Behaviours: Water safety is paramount to us. We instil safe behaviours both in and around aquatic environments, ensuring children are equipped to navigate water safely.
· Individualized Teaching: Every child is unique, and we tailor our teaching approach to meet their specific needs. We take a personalized approach, allowing children to learn at their own pace.
Are you a student in allied health, teaching, or social work disciplines? This is an incredible opportunity for you! As a Waterabilities Swim Instructor, you'll gain practical insights and specialized training in working with children with diverse abilities. Join our exceptional and supportive team, consisting of allied health professionals, specialty teachers, and social workers, and learn how to best support children with diverse abilities. The knowledge and experience you'll gain will propel your career and open doors to the allied health industry.
By working with Waterabilities, you'll be making a tangible difference in children's lives. Teaching them swimming skills that will save lives one day. Isn't that the most rewarding feeling ever?
But that's not all! Working with us comes with a range of benefits:
· Pathways into the Allied Health Industry:Kick-start your career by gaining valuable experience and connections within the allied health services.
· Networking Opportunities: Connect with professionals in the field, expanding your network and enhancing future opportunities.
· Job Growth: We believe in investing in our team members' growth, providing you with prospects for career advancement and professional development.
· Competitive Remuneration: Earn between $25-40 per hour, depending on your experience and qualifications.
· Free Training and Professional Development: We offer continual oppurtunities for training and development to help you grow and excel in your role and your future career path.
· Free CPR/First Aid Courses: Enhance your skills and ensure you're equipped to handle emergency situations.
· Supportive and Inclusive Team: Join a team that values collaboration, support, and inclusivity. Your contributions go far beyond the your work in the pool.
· Flexible Management: We understand the importance of your personal and professional needs. Our welcoming and supportive management team will work with you to ensure you feel supported to achieve your goals within your role and career path
To be part of our incredible team, you'll need:
· Knowledge and understanding of swim teaching and water safety to ensure the safety and enjoyment of our participants.
· Ability to manage individuals of various ages and abilities in an aquatic learning environment.
· Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills, allowing you to effectively engage, communicate, and motivate participants with diverse needs and their parents/carers.
· Experience and knowledge in teaching and/or working with children with diverse abilities.
· Availability to work on 10 Saturdays and/or Sundays during school terms.
Qualifications we require:
· Teaching of Swimming certification from Austswim, Swim Australia, or Royal Life Saving.
· Working With Vulnerable People Number.
· Attendance at AUA Waterabilities training
· Current first aid and CPR certification (preferred)
· Tertiary qualifications or enrolment in allied health, teaching, or social work (preferred)
Multiple Locations within the ACT